Montag, 10. Januar 2011

Odds and Ends

- Lily is wearing pants, shirts and shoes Emmi wore last year. Never mind that she is almost TWO years younger then her sister. She sure is a growing girl and added almost 1 1/2 inches to her height over the past two months. Which means she can reach a whole lot of new things now, including doorknobs. I think I have less then a month before she figures out how to open them. If she can't reach something she wants, she also sure knows to help herself...

- Emmi who has always been VERY sensitive to cold, now mostly refuses to wear anything but skirts, dresses and short sleeves. And I stopped fighting. She does put on clothes once being cold outweighs her sense of fashion (that does not include pants or socks). I am dreading going to Germany though. I know she'll wear warm clothes eventually but I am sure Oma will have a nervous breakdown before that. My Mom is convinced that not wearing a hat gives you an ear infection, sitting on cold rocks does the same to your bladder and getting cold in general will give you the flu. And most woman in Germany my Moms age think the same and I know they will give me an ear infection telling me about it once they catch sight of my summery dressed daughter. I actually asked our pediatrician about it and she told me that the only thing Emmi would get from running around naked in the snow is frostbite. But this piece of information is totally lost on my Mom :) Who knows, maybe she can convince Emmi to wear appropriate clothes (i. e. socks in 20 degree weather). She'll be my hero if she does!
- While sitting at the table with a bowl of spaghetti Emmi came up with the following statement: "It's still a long time before we all die". End of statement and she went back to eating. ?????

- Emmi's friend Lena came over for a sleepover on the weekend and they had such a great time. They played "House", made Pizza, watched Piglets Big Movie and everybody was sound asleep by nine. I really hope this is what all future sleepovers are going to be like. (I know, lots of wishful thinking...) I can't believe Emmi is old enough for sleepovers!!
- Lily still hates the Y. She gets frantic once we start walking down the hallway towards the child watch and wants me to turn around. Just before we get to the toddler room we pass by the door to the pool which is the last straw of hope for her that I might turn there. Once it is clear we are not turning she starts crying and doesn't stop until I pick her up again a full 15 (!!!!) minutes later. So instead of me working out, Lily and I go swimming while Emmi hangs out in the preschooler area which she really likes. (Even though she tells me every time before I drop her off that she is going to cry while she is there. But I guess she is too busy and never actually gets around to it ;) )

- I love raising two sisters!




2 Kommentare:

William Lunsford hat gesagt…
Dieser Kommentar wurde vom Autor entfernt.
seoulsurfer hat gesagt…

I know what you mean about your mom and other older ladies thinking that you have to dress warmly all the time in order to not get sick. My mother in law and other Korean ladies are the same way...they are obsessed with being warm and having kids dressed in multiple layers. When they were here before, they were constantly putting socks on Olivia and adding an extra layer to her clothing, even though it was over 70 degrees in our house. And when I lived there, kids came to school over-bundled when it wasnt' even that cold outside, and they kept the rooms pretty hot (in my opinion) in the winter. It doesn't matter what modern science says, they will never be convinced! I think it's interesting that it seems to be the same in Germany, I thought it was a Korean thing :)